Re: Virtual package httpd-with-cgi-suppport.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:25:57PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 08:09:53AM +1000, Jason Thomas wrote:
> > maybe the name could be smaller, say httpd-cgi would do!
>
> Hmm... OK, it's shorter, but the longer version is easier to
> understand. Is there any limit of how long a package name can be?

It's not a matter of written rules but a matter of cocnvenience; if for
instance you use "dpkg -l", you can only see the first 15 characters. I also
agree with Jason that the name should be just "httpd-cgi". If you want to give
more details, use the short description field.

Or look at it this way: there aren't any other package's names with the words
"with" or "support" (at least I don't remember seeing any).
Take it as a simple matter of consistency among Debian developers.

examples: xserver-svga, apache-ssl, gs-pdfencrypt
   and NOT
xserver-with-svga-support, apache-with-ssl-support, gs-with-pdfencrypt-support

Jaime