Re: reconfiguring locales in base-config?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 08:16:41PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:36:19 +1000,
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > Mind you, it only changes the locale, not the actual language of the system
> > so maybe this isn't so important.
>
> What do you want to mean, by the words "locale" and "the actual language
> of the system" ?

I mean that all the names listed in locale.alias are the *english* names for
those locales. If you need the french locale you'd have to know enough
english to know that "french" is the one you need.

But considering that the rest of the installation in going to be in english
anyway, I don't think it's really a major point.

> However, I don't think it is a good idea to set system-wide LANG variable
> on the installation process, which is not very useful for non-ISO-8859-1
> languages.  (Especially, this means apparent danger for non-Latin-script
> languages like Russian, Greek, Japanese, and Thai).

Unless the whole installation is internationalised, I think we're better off
staying in iso-8859-1 until everything is installed.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/