Re: reconfiguring locales in base-config?

Hi,

At Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:36:19 +1000,
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> Mind you, it only changes the locale, not the actual language of the system
> so maybe this isn't so important.

What do you want to mean, by the words "locale" and "the actual language
of the system" ?

I think we are now discussing about how to _generate_ locale database
in /usr/lib/locale/* on the installation process.  In other words, how
to write /etc/locale.gen and invoke /usr/sbin/locale-gen .  I think
this is a good idea.  Though I have no idea which is better to display
candidates in language names or country names, I agree it is a good idea
in general.  (I think both way would be needed.  For example, some
languages are spoken in multiple countries [and country names are proper
way for this case] while multiple languages are used in some countries
[and language names are proper way for this case]. )

However, I don't think it is a good idea to set system-wide LANG variable
on the installation process, which is not very useful for non-ISO-8859-1
languages.  (Especially, this means apparent danger for non-Latin-script
languages like Russian, Greek, Japanese, and Thai).

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/