Re: 'testing' packages under 'stable'

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 05:10:29PM +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> > Surely there must be some way that we can improve this situation -
> > obviously some packages will require major upgrades (like, it really
> > won't work without perl 5.6, or the latest libc or whatever), but I
> > reckon a whole load would work just fine if they'd been built on a
> > stable system - as shown by the number of private repositories of
> > new-packages-built-for-potato that exist.
>
> It might be sufficient to specifically document the procedure for
> building a package from testing under stable, given that it often is
> no more difficult than unpack, build, binary.

Unfortunately lots of people will stop at the DH_COMPAT=3... then there's
new perl policy which means that it's not (quite) trivial to build new
perl libs under stable, if my experience this afternoon is anything to go by.

> The downside of doing this is the user who does it has to be more much
> careful about securing their system, given that AFAIK security.d.o
> only carries updates for stable.  i.e. the same piece of documentation
> should mention precisely such caveats as this one.

Yup.

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Truth will out this morning.  (Which may really mess things up.)