Re: 'testing' packages under 'stable'

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 21:08, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 05:10:29PM +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> > > Surely there must be some way that we can improve this situation -
> > > obviously some packages will require major upgrades (like, it really
> > > won't work without perl 5.6, or the latest libc or whatever), but I
> > > reckon a whole load would work just fine if they'd been built on a
> > > stable system - as shown by the number of private repositories of
> > > new-packages-built-for-potato that exist.
> >
> > It might be sufficient to specifically document the procedure for
> > building a package from testing under stable, given that it often is
> > no more difficult than unpack, build, binary.
>
> Unfortunately lots of people will stop at the DH_COMPAT=3... then there's
> new perl policy which means that it's not (quite) trivial to build new
> perl libs under stable, if my experience this afternoon is anything to go
> by.

I have compiled several perl5.6 packages for stable (because we need them on
our production systems). It's not that hard, but remember to upgrade modconf,
otherwise you get odd warnings when installing packages. Also sometimes when
making "stable" :)  from testing packages you need to do trivial rewrites in
debian/rules to work with older versions of debhelper.

`Allan