Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 01:38:02AM +0200, "Jürgen A. Erhard" wrote:
> There was a mail by Akira <don't remember the last name>.  He put his
> Kanji name even in the From line... and SEMI displayed it quite
> correctly (and Emacs RMAIL displayed it in the body even with going
> into the MIME viewer).
>
> Granted, I couldn't "read" it.  But I liked seeing it.

I'd like to point out that there's a "right" way and a "wrong" way to do
this sort of thing

The 'right' way unfortunately looks really ugly if you dont have an
up-to-date email program, because there's a long pre-amble.

"right" being defined as "fits in the rfc-stated limitations of the
  header section, and uses encoding specifiers",
  [and thereby probably is all 7-bit chars]

vs

"Well, I'll just slam some raw Shift-JIS in there, and 'smart' readers
 will do the right thing"