Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

Hi,

At Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:35:36 +0200,
Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> wrote:

> That was what I meant. The worst that happen is that you read it
> omitting the diacritics. If the diacritics is not there, you are no
> better on.

Then you think it is worse to omit the diacritics than printing
the character with '?', don't you?

Though I did not think about such opinion, my idea can cover such
need.  Just write '?' instead of corresponding Latin character
without diacritics in 'Maintainer:' field and write character
with diacritics in 'Maintainer-utf8:' field.  On the other hand,
people who prefer ASCII transliteration to '?' can choose the
ASCII transliteration.

Even if you want your name displayed correctly for people all
over the world, it is just impossible.  In the world, there are
encodings other than ISO-8859-* and UTF-8 which are widely
used.  You did agreed that we cannot abolish non-UTF-8 locales
now, didn't you?  It means that we must use ASCII as the common
encoding in the world.

> But with diacritics, people knowing the script can read it. If the
> diacritics is not there, nobody can.

With '?' or garbage character, nobody can.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/