Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

    Tomohiro> Even if you want your name displayed correctly for
    Tomohiro> people all over the world, it is just impossible.

There was a mail by Akira <don't remember the last name>.  He put his
Kanji name even in the From line... and SEMI displayed it quite
correctly (and Emacs RMAIL displayed it in the body even with going
into the MIME viewer).

Granted, I couldn't "read" it.  But I liked seeing it.

I see Kanji/ASCII-transliterated similar to actors screen and real
name.  Just like the man known as Cary Grant was in fact christened
Archibald Alexander Leach, and I like to know that (whatever for ;-),
so I like to know the Kanji-written name of people in Japan.

    Tomohiro> In the world, there are encodings other than ISO-8859-*
    Tomohiro> and UTF-8 which are widely used.  You did agreed that we
    Tomohiro> cannot abolish non-UTF-8 locales now, didn't you?

*Now*.  Yes.  But in the future, I *hope* there will be a time when we
don't need all this drek anymore.

One big problem with different encodings (and I think Radovan already
mentioned it): you cannot easily mix them.  One file in UTF-8 is no
problem... but when I want to write Kanji and, say, Hindi, in the same
letter (and, for added complexity, add a little right-to-left Urdu),
I'm pretty much screwed.

    Tomohiro> It means that we must use ASCII as the common encoding
    Tomohiro> in the world.

You might not realize (due to the fact that 8 bit = 1 character
encodings never were enough in CJK land ;-), but what is now known as
ASCII actually *also* (like latin-N) existed in local variations.

In ancient times, you might have seen computer printouts like
this... oops, I cannot show you without using latin-1.  So I shan't,
right?  Screw that (sorry).  The printout:

    volüö = Ü1, 2, 3, 4Ä;

Can you guess what that was?  The proper code would be (and you got
that after configuring your printer right):

    vol[] = {1, 2, 3, 4};

The local german (and I think swiss/austrian) ASCII variant (there was
a DIN number for that) had the umlauts where ASCII had the curly and
square brackets.  ( \ and | where also umlauts, and @ was the sz, or
ss).

So, we europeans had such a transition before... I'm glad all that is
past us (I hope!).

Bye, J

PS: Could you write me an email with your real, Kanji-written name?  I
know I cannot read it, but at least I've seen it.

--
 Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard@gmx.net, jae@users.sourceforge.net)
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html