Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:44:14AM +0100, Nick Phillips wrote:

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 03:32:05AM -0400, Brent Verner wrote:

On 05 Jul 2001 at 12:33 (-0500), Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
| * Brent Verner (brent@rcfile.org) spake thusly:
| > I've started a new init/rc system meant to be LSB compliant. | ... the idea is to put together perl modules to handle
| > init scripts...
| | AAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEE! Mama, make the bad thing go away.

Which part is the bad thing?

*requiring* perl to be on a system before the init scripts will work
is very bad. think about it a little while.

Are you perl-phobic?

I am a bit perl-phobic, are there any advantages to having a perl init scripts as compared to posix shell init script ?

A shell will always be needed, but it should be possible to have a system that doesnt have perl installed.

Unless there is a clear advantage to adding the complexity best to avoid it IMHO.

Glenn