Re: UTF-8 editor support in Debian?

At Fri, 6 Jul 2001 22:04:35 +1000,
Drew Parsons <dparsons@emerall.com> wrote:

> The X keyboard selector would be the most appropriate to me (Gnome at
> least has a keyboard selector applet for switching between languages).
> It works great on the xterm console.  Is XIM an  native X selector?

Some languages such as Japanese and Chinese need thousands of letters.
(You may have heard that one CJK Ideograph corresponds to a word in
European languages.)  It is clear that usual keyboards have much less
keys than needed letters (even if we consider shift/ctrl/alt/altgr/...)
and, such huge keyboards would not be convenient (difficult to remember,
expensive, require large space, etc).  Thus, for such languages, we
use a special software to input letters.  Type a reading of letters/
words/sentences, then the software looks up a large dictionary and
shows candidates of correct letters.  Then the user chooses correct

XIM is a protocol for such input mechanism.  XIM server is the special
software I wrote above.  All softwares which need i18n input should
have XIM client functionality.  XIM is standardized by X11R6.  There
are relatively small number of softwares which implements XIM client.

Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/