Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 07:00:12AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> I am a bit perl-phobic, are there any advantages to having a perl init
> scripts as compared to posix shell init script ?
>
> A shell will always be needed, but it should be possible to have a
> system that doesnt have perl installed.
>
> Unless there is a clear advantage to adding the complexity best to avoid
> it IMHO.

Well, in theory all Turing-complete languages can do the job. An init
script could be written in POSIX shell, Perl, C, or FORTRAN and all could
do the job. In practice some are better than others.

All of the basic Perl stuff can be done with shell/awk/sed/grep etc.
That doesn't make those the best way to do it though.

If Perl is a better solution for a particular problem, why not use it?
It is a standard system tool and it's not likely that your complete
system will run without it any time soon. Nor is there any real need
to make that so, IMHO.

Hamish