Re: chkconfig packages for testing (will ITP soon)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 05:48:27AM -0400, Brent Verner wrote:

> agreed, but I think we should strive that those differences be
> for the better, which in the case of chkconfig vs. update-rc.d,
> chkconfig is a much better tool.

careful.  they solve different problems.  update-rc.d intentionally is
designed to discourage maintainer scripts from screwing with the
admin's local changes.  thats why you must totally remove all links
before it will be willing to add/remove existing links.

chkconfig is a terrible tool for use in maintainer scripts. it should
not replace update-rc.d.

> hmm... I started on debian, but have recently been forced to deal
> with redhat boxen. There are some things about redhat that are better,
> and I think it would be smart for debian to absorb those, and leave
> the broken parts of redhat alone :)

i can find nothing in redhat of any use to us.