Re: upgrading to postgresql 7.1

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 10:50:33AM +1000 , Brian May wrote:

>     Brian> How do you create a new blank database with 7.1? With 7.0
>     Brian> there use to be a pg_init executable (or something
>     Brian> similar), but I can't seem to find it here.  Just
>
> LATER: I got it. I meant initdb.
>
>     Brian> How do you import the new database into 7.1?  I tried psql,
>     Brian> but without success. Will try it again when I know the
>     Brian> answers to the above (at least the 2nd one).  -- Brian May
>     Brian> <bam@debian.org>
>
> Still doesn't work.
>
> psql template1 -f db_6.5.out
>
> (what database name am I meant to use? the db file contains all the
> databases... I suspect that is my problem, below)
>
> comes up with errors like:
>
> psql:db_6.5.out:13:ERROR: source database "template1" is being accessed by other users

I think I saw this when I had psql attached on another console to template1
- read the message :)

> psql:db_6.5.out:14:\connect: FATAL 1: Database: "bbs" does not exist in the system catalog.

and probably because of the previous error it doesn't create this one

> line 13 is: create database bbs;
> line 14 is: \connect bbs postgres

also I think there are problems with user creation. it uses INSERT INTO
pg_shadow, which is wrong. I've created users with CREATE USER according to
the dump

				Petr Cech
P.S. don't let those small errors stop you
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

<Myth> the UNIX trademark has changed hands so much no one is quite sure who really owns it anymore