Re: upgrading to postgresql 7.1

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 10:36:46AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     Petr> yes. dump. purge. install. reload - there are IMHO way too
>     Petr> much possible configurations to can safely do this
>     Petr> automaticaly. And that's what is the .deb also trying to do
>     Petr> - automaticaly. So do it by hand and you're OK.
>
> How do you dump a 7.0 database? I keep getting memory errors generated
> by the old server all the time. (maybe I am not starting it correctly?
> It is the copy stored in /var/lib/postgresql/dumpall/7.0/)
>
> How do you create a new blank database with 7.1? With 7.0 there use to
> be a pg_init executable (or something similar), but I can't seem to
> find it here.  Just reinstalling postgresql from scratch with data
> missing does not work, as it attempts to execute postmaster.init,
> which no longer works, hence crashing the postinst script (sorry, I
> can't copy the error, as gpm is currently broken).
>
> How do you import the new database into 7.1?  I tried psql, but
> without success. Will try it again when I know the answers to the
> above (at least the 2nd one).

man pg_dump has all you need to know, how to dump a database and how to read
it back in, this procedure is a lot more reliable, less memory hoggy and
better all round than it was in the 6.* series.

if you want to trust your data to some auto upgrade thing the packages want to
do good luck, but I dont reccomend it, especially as pg_dump makes it all so
easy.

Also dont do things one table at a time if you have dependancies and such like
foreign keys as it is not guaranteed to work, dumnp your entiree database in
one go and read it in in one go.

        See You
            Steve

--