Re: gpm, USB mouse, Linux 2.4.4

On 22 May 2001, Brian May wrote:

>     >> longer working with gpm (it works fine for X; although gpm
>     >> doesn't work even with X not running). I have tried restarting
>     >> gpm, but it doesn't help (the pointer never appears). Any ideas
>     >> why? My gpm.conf has:

>     Jacob> Most people run gpm in repeater mode, and point X to
>     Jacob> /dev/gpmdata. IIRC, gpm and X packages do this by default.

> I don't think that is the problem here, because the problem occured
> before X even started.

>     Jacob> That's pretty useless if you don't tell us anything about
>     Jacob> your hardware. On one system, I have a usb microsoft
>     Jacob> wheelmouse, and this config works pretty well:

>     Jacob> /etc/gpm.conf: device=/dev/input/mice repeat_type=ms3
>     Jacob> type=ps2

> Sounds similar to my setup.

$ ls /etc/rc3.d/S*hotplug
/etc/rc3.d/S20hotplug
$ ls /etc/rc3.d/S*gpm
/etc/rc3.d/S20gpm

$ echo -e 'S20hotplug\nS20gpm'|sort
S20gpm
S20hotplug

This was the problem on 2.4 for me, at any rate:  the gpm startup script would
run, and fail to find the mouse; and /then/ USB support would be initialized.
Changing the order of the scripts took care of the problem here.

If restarting gpm doesn't fix the problem, I don't know.  Do you have hotplug
installed, or are you still using usbmgr?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer