Re: upgrading to postgresql 7.1

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 10:36:46AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> How do you dump a 7.0 database? I keep getting memory errors generated
> by the old server all the time. (maybe I am not starting it correctly?
> It is the copy stored in /var/lib/postgresql/dumpall/7.0/)

I would recommend dumping the old database BEFORE installing the new
package. So you can use the normal pg_dump utility.

Then you can purge postgresql and install 7.1.

> How do you create a new blank database with 7.1? With 7.0 there use to

The installation does create the blank database named template1. If you need
more just use createdb.

> How do you import the new database into 7.1?  I tried psql, but
> without success. Will try it again when I know the answers to the
> above (at least the 2nd one).

createdb <newdb>
psql <newdb> < dumpfile

Michael