Re: [FLAME WARNING] Linux Standards Base and Debian

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 01:15:46PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > The LSB doesn't need the full power of a complex packaging system,
> > and it is unlikely they would get it right without really using
> > it.
>
> I disagree with that. The people who are involved with that
> particular bit of LSB happen to be a dpkg maintainer, the apt
> author, rpm upstream, the author of dpkg-rpm and a few other capable
> people. If you don't trust that group you may as well give up and
> start your own packaging system.

Trust has nothing to do with it.  Frankly, I agree that the format of
the package file being something that standard *NIX tools can
manipulate.  I agree that a packaging "system" should be unnecessary
to install a binary package.  Marcus is right on the money with his
statement.

However, I will articulate Wichert's implied statement: get involved
with the LSB.  Bickering about it on debian-devel isn't going to get
people very far.  A little research[1] turns up the following on how
to get involved:

    Invitation To Participate
    Anyone wishing to participate in the LSB project either as an
    observer or as a contributor should join one of the mailing
    lists[2].  There are no fees for participation or membership.

    1. http://www.linuxbase.org
    2. http://www.linuxbase.org/lists.html

Related threads:

    3. http://lists.debian.org/lsb-discuss-0010/msg00012.html
    4. http://lists.debian.org/lsb-discuss-0010/msg00036.html
    5. http://lists.debian.org/lsb-discuss-0007/msg00002.html
    6. http://lists.debian.org/lsb-discuss-0105/msg00025.html

Good Hunting!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD