Re: [FLAME WARNING] Linux Standards Base and Debian

On Tue, 08 May 2001, Arthur Korn wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer schrieb:
> > below. RPM is the defacto standard on Linux [sic] and supported either
> > directly, or indirectly by the widest number of distributions.
>
> The statement is perfectly true, Debian supports RPM with aliens
> help.

I'd like to remind all of the fact that the LSB also specifies the entire
set of libs one can use, so alien can (and I suppose, will) be taught how to
correctly map the .lsb to .deb dependencies if given a proper LSB-compatible
package as input, for example.

Since the LSB is mainly useful for binary-only distributors, we need not get
annoyed over their choice of rpm. After all, it makes more sense, since most
distributors already have staff that knows how to build rpms anyway.

> > So, LSB is not a specification for Linux-based operating systems but for the
> > subset of them which uses the RPM format.

Not true at all... there are lots of useful stuff (and lots of bad stuff, I
suppose) in that standard.

  Henrique Holschuh