Re: [FLAME WARNING] Linux Standards Base and Debian

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 10:07:57PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> I agree. The LSB should contrast/compare features of both and come up
> with a superset of both (possibly favoring ones implementation over the
> other). Most importantly, the metadata format needs to be standardized.
> That is the key component. If that is standard, then the binary format
> means very little (since a simple converter can be created just like
> alien).

I think it makes more sense for the LSB to define an intersection of
required features, and use only that for their stuff.  Then other people can
easily implement this minimal interface or convert to/from it.

The LSB doesn't need the full power of a complex packaging system, and it is
unlikely they would get it right without really using it.

Marcus