Re: [FLAME WARNING] Linux Standards Base and Debian

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:26:35PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> I think it makes more sense for the LSB to define an intersection of
> required features, and use only that for their stuff.  Then other people can
> easily implement this minimal interface or convert to/from it.
>
> The LSB doesn't need the full power of a complex packaging system, and it is
> unlikely they would get it right without really using it.

i don't think it doesn't really makes any sense for them to comment on
packaging systems anyway.  the only reason i can see (and has been
mentioned) for it is proprietary developers.  i personally think
proprietary stuff should just go in /opt. proprietary devs almost
invariably horribly ignore the FHS or anything resembling *nix
filesystem standards anyway.. so i say hell with it tell them to put
all thier junk in /opt/prog and perhaps require a wrapper script
suitable for installation in /usr/local/bin that properly runs the
software.

if they did this packaging systems don't even enter into it, the
developer just ships a tar.gz to be unpacked in /opt, simple.

or better yet, don't use non-free software ;-)

IMNSHO, it should be up to the distribution makers to do packaging,
not upstream as its usually not thier specialty and thus they often
end up making a crappy package. standard or not i think this will
always be the case.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/