Re: [FLAME WARNING] Linux Standards Base and Debian

Stephane Bortzmeyer schrieb:
> below. RPM is the defacto standard on Linux [sic] and supported either
> directly, or indirectly by the widest number of distributions.

The statement is perfectly true, Debian supports RPM with aliens
help.

> The intent is to in the future replace this format with a new
> format currently being developed.

I'd like it much more if there was a simple "portable package
format" (like GNU .tar.gz (ie with autoconf or workalike);) and
distributions can build on that if they feel they need to.

In short: most is there.

> So, LSB is not a specification for Linux-based operating systems but for the
> subset of them which uses the RPM format.

What part of the quote leads you to this conclusion?

ciao, 2ri
--
No, I'm not going to explain it.  If you can't figure it out, you didn't
want to know anyway...  :-)