Re: Woody Freeze Plans - Progress Report

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 09:22:48AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     Nicolas>   Or a pxegrub image ;) Or nbgrub if you're got an
>     Nicolas> etherboot rom.
>
> What is pxegrub? What is nbgrub?
>
> I tried creating a etherboot lilo image (meant to look like a Linux
> kernel to lilo so lilo can boot from the network), and using grub to
> boot that.
>
> However, it doesn't work. The computer locks up and has to be
> rebooted.

The bootloader needs to recognize the format of the `kernel' it has to load.
At the moment GRUB can load multiboot compliant kernels, Linux ones, and
others bootloaders (chainloading). Etherboot creates a nbi image which is
not recognize by GRUB.

The nbigrub is a GRUB image in the Etherboot nbi format that allows an
etherboot EPROM (or boot on floppy) to load GRUB.

The patch I have made allow to boot via GRUB in order to query by the
network the `menu.lst' --- i.e. choices to boot ---. So there is no more
real need for a support of nbi `kernels' in GRUB.
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org