Re: Woody Freeze Plans - Progress Report

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 12:50:16PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> was heard to say:
> > Nobody uses floppies anymore, we should focus on the boot-cd, imho.
>
>   As someone else pointed out, the floppies and cds are generated from the
> same code.
>
>   That aside, people (like myself) with a fast net connection *will*
> actually use floppies to bootstrap the install; it's easier to make a
> floppy image than to make a CD image, especially if you don't have a
> CD burner.

on a slightly off-topic note, does anyone know if the new debian-boot
stuff be able to boot from a _single_ floppy and perform a network
install?

this is one of the things i think has been lacking in debian - in order to
perform a network install, you must create 6 floppies; rescue, root, and 4
driver disks. bleah.