Re: E-commerce made easy

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 04:51:50PM -0800, Ralph Jennings wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 02:33:03PM -0800, Mike Markley wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 02:20:12PM -0800, Ralph Jennings <ralph@oro.net> spake forth:
> > > Is this list filtering through RBL, RSS, DUL, or ORBS.
> > >
> > > If not, then it ought to be at least filtered through
> > > DUL, RBL, and RSS.  If it is allready, then is somebody
> > > gonna turn on the ORBS lists filtering?
> >
> > Before you go any further, please *PLEASE* search the list archives for any
> > of the many flamewars about this that have come before...
> >
> > (And those who are sensitive about the subject, forgive him for he knows not
> > what he does :P)
>
> OK, I did a search for "spam filter" case insensitive, with partial
> match, and all dates, checked all follow ups also.  I didn't find any
> valid arguments for not putting in a spam filter.  I did however see
> a couple of pissed off people with apparent open relays, or maybe it
> was just a bad way of implementing the spam filter which said, anyone
> not explicitly trusted, is untrusted (there are *definately* valid
> reasons not to do that).
>
> I'm not saying there are no valid reasons.  Anyone who was following
> those discussions, please post a summary of the arguments given.

The summary is, we have a filter in place that catches 19 out of 20 spams
(believe me, the lists would be unbearable without it), and it is the
only safe mechanism which stands next to zero chance of losing valid
email. The basic idea is, we would rather get a few spams here and
there, than risk losing valid emails to the list.