Re: Bug in auto-closing of bugs through changelog entries

    Matt> In some situations, it would be nice to be able to merge
    Matt> reports that belong to different packages.  For example,
    Matt> when a bug in package libfoo causes a problem with package
    Matt> bar (where it is non-obvious that the problem is caused by
    Matt> libfoo), a bug could remain open against bar (merged with
    Matt> the appropriate report against libfoo) to prevent users from
    Matt> filing new bugs against bar and give them a status update on
    Matt> when the problem with bar will go away.

Agreed. I often find myself in a similar situation myself.

eg. bug X is reported against my package. However, I can't fix it
until bug Y is fixed in another package (not maintained by me).

So, I could reassign the bug to the other package, but then the
maintainer will close the bug when he/she has finished, instead of
reassigning it bug to me. So I don't get notified that the problem has
been fixed, which means I don't fix the problem in my package.

What I often end up doing is filing a new bug report, and when the bug
ID comes back (if I remember), I will add that to the old bug report.

    Matt> True, this would cause a bug to remain open against a
    Matt> package that does not contain a bug per se, but if you view
    Matt> bugs as "problem reports", this is valid.

It would be good if you could say "bug X depends on bug Y getting
fixed" or even "open a new bug report Y and automatically associate it
with existing bug report X, ie. so bug X depends on bug Y getting
fixed first".
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>