Re: Bug in auto-closing of bugs through changelog entries

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 03:36:17PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> On Feb 15, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:41:58PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > > To me, the solution seems obvious: Count bugs separately for each
> > > package and include the package name in the "bug ID", e.g. glibc/1,
> > > glibc/2, ...
> >
> > How will this work when packages are reassigned to another package?
>
> I guess you would have a new report number and merge the two... that's
> what I'd do.

In some situations, it would be nice to be able to merge reports that belong to
different packages.  For example, when a bug in package libfoo causes a problem
with package bar (where it is non-obvious that the problem is caused by
libfoo), a bug could remain open against bar (merged with the appropriate
report against libfoo) to prevent users from filing new bugs against bar and
give them a status update on when the problem with bar will go away.

True, this would cause a bug to remain open against a package that does not
contain a bug per se, but if you view bugs as "problem reports", this is valid.

--
 - mdz