Re: [EOT, hopefully] NM flamefest

** On Jan 15, Craig Sanders scribbled:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 07:48:24PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > True, but it might decrease the demand for new maintainership.
> > Hypothetically there may be people in the queue who are more
> > interested in a cool email address than in helping Debian.
>
> this assertion has been made several times without any proof. so,
> where's the proof that it's actually happening or that it's even a
> problem?
>
> an email address isn't that valuable. most people have several. many
> have more than they want already, and vanity domains are easy and cheap
> to get.
>
> even if it is happening, who cares? is it a big enough problem to
> justify keeping dozens of enthusiastic and genuine volunteers on hold
> indefinitely? the "solution" does way more harm than the so-called
> problem.
>
> we have a lengthy NM procedure to verify identity and to weed out
> undesirables - isn't that enough?
Apparently not. Ben Collins still thins litter gets into Debian - and when
he's asked reasonable questions, he ignores them. But I can agree with him
on one matter - @debian.org address is always related to the Debian project
and words written under this label are often taken as official Debian
stance, which in many cases might be undesirable. But then again, that's
what the NM process is to judge too...

> once their application has been processed, their accounts should be
> created ASAP to let them get on with whatever work it is they want to do
> for debian.
Amen.

marek

--
Visit: http://caudium.net - the Caudium WebServer

/* A completely unrelated fortune */
 philosophy:  The ability to bear with calmness the misfortunes of our
 friends.