Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

** On Jan 14, gbechly@debian.org scribbled:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 04:39:09PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > I applied on or near 1998-09-21 (I don't find my original mail from
> > my archives).  My key was added to the keyring on 1999-01-29.
>
> I can second that! Even though there was some delay from my application in
> July 2000 till the assignment of an AM in September, the remaining procedures
> were absolutely appropriate and smooth, so that I received my account in
> October 2000. I think that there MUST be some protection against potential
And I applied in July and I'm still waiting. Hmm...? And I don't even know
why - not even my AM knows (and this is _not_ his fault)... What's wrong in
that picture? I dunno :(

> evil infiltration, after all Linux is getting more and more a real threat
> for Micro$oft and alikes. There also has to be some control of the committment
> to the free software spirit and the technical skills of the applicants.
I've been in the free software since 1995 - is that committment sufficient?

> Delays are unfortunate for the applicants who are eager to start working,
> but may be inevitable to guarantee a certain standard.
I agree completely. But lack of action isn't identical to checking somebody.
I would expect that if DAM has any doubts as far as my application is
concerned, he would contact the AM and the latter would phone, write or
visit me. Nothing happend so far. I've been waiting patiently for months now
and I would still be waiting if not this thread :)

> > Remember, Debian developership is a privilege, not a right.
>
> This is problematic in my view: In this thread it was claimed that some
> NM-applicants might be mainly interested in the prestige of a Debian
> mail address etc. Such desires could of course be stipulated by elitarian
> statements like "it is a priviledge to be a Debian developer". Even if this
> may be the case indeed (I do see it as a priviledge), it should not become an
> official attitude of Debian. After all it is also a priviledge for Debian that
I second that opinion 100%

> numerous people are willing to spend a large part of their spare time for this
> volunteer project.
And it is a privilege to have your code/patches accepted even though you're
not a part of the project - and one could go on and on with enumerating all
the privileges. The notion of "privilege" is a very vague thing in the free,
public and democratic project like Debian.

marek

--
Visit: http://caudium.net - the Caudium WebServer

/* A completely unrelated fortune */
 CCI Power 6/40: one board, a megabyte of cache, and an attitude...