Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

Who is stepping up to share James' job?

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> But you must realize that new members get the constitutional rights,
> including the right to vote.  We must make sure that we are not
> immediately suspectible to a flood-of-hostile-members attack, where a
> force wanting to divert or destroy Debian, if there are any, has a large
> number of their agents infiltrate Debian and use their constitutional
> powers as members to unmake Debian.

Do not mistake me - I respect the work that the NM team is doing very much
and am grateful for it, but what you are missing here is that at the
moment (moment ~= 1 year) the whole NM procedure has *mainly* consisted of
waiting for signs from the NM team.

> I applied on or near 1998-09-21 (I don't find my original mail from
> my archives).  My key was added to the keyring on 1999-01-29.

So you were lucky. As of now, you'd be an exception. I'll be *waiting* for
a year soon. And I'm no exception at all.

I understand the problem with the current system, but please understand
that from a NM's view Debian looks less like an open source, transparent,
contribution friendly community but more like a bureaucratic dinosaur,
trying to justify it stasis.

Be aware, that Debian has every interest to maintain a public goodwill
towards itself and this is on play right now. I think seeing the recent
rate of flames about this issue you are well aware that the number of
people tired of waiting and not understanding why this procedure is taking
*that* long - whether that's justified or not - is rising. That's not
good.

*t

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch