Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 04:39:09PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> I applied on or near 1998-09-21 (I don't find my original mail from
> my archives).  My key was added to the keyring on 1999-01-29.

I can second that! Even though there was some delay from my application in
July 2000 till the assignment of an AM in September, the remaining procedures
were absolutely appropriate and smooth, so that I received my account in
October 2000. I think that there MUST be some protection against potential
evil infiltration, after all Linux is getting more and more a real threat
for Micro$oft and alikes. There also has to be some control of the committment
to the free software spirit and the technical skills of the applicants.
Delays are unfortunate for the applicants who are eager to start working,
but may be inevitable to guarantee a certain standard.

> Remember, Debian developership is a privilege, not a right.

This is problematic in my view: In this thread it was claimed that some
NM-applicants might be mainly interested in the prestige of a Debian
mail address etc. Such desires could of course be stipulated by elitarian
statements like "it is a priviledge to be a Debian developer". Even if this
may be the case indeed (I do see it as a priviledge), it should not become an
official attitude of Debian. After all it is also a priviledge for Debian that
numerous people are willing to spend a large part of their spare time for this
volunteer project.
Concerning the term "senior developers" it is similar: Of course there ARE
developers who are of key-importance for the project, and it is absolutely
o.k. that they have more influence. But it would still be better style to avoid
the term "senior developer" as predicate in public discussions, because it bears
the risk that many of those dedicated non-senior developers could feel as second
class contributors who may do the work but should better keep there mouths shut.

Just MHO,
Guenter

--
Linux: Who needs GATES in a world without fences?