Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 01:47:44AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I mean, is it really difficult to see how approving someone who'll
> maintain a couple of packages that'll get dropped into optional or extra
> isn't really a high priority? Is it difficult to see how someone might
> think, oh, I don't know, fixing bugs that might cause problems for the
> existing 600 maintainers might be a more useful thing to spend time on
> than approving a dozen more? Or alternatively how working for a living
> might get in the way, or how real life might otherwise intervene over
> the Christmas/New Year period?

Nothing of this is hard to understand. But if this happens, you have to pass
on the general staff. If you don't care about new maintainers, because you
don't think there is much value in them, leave them alone. But let other
people do the work that is necessary to let them in.

Now, there is a lot of paranoia around here about floods of hostile new
maintainers corrupting Debian. There has not the slightest indication
that those fears have merit, not to talk about proof. But if you care abuot
that, you help improving the protections, and not hinder dozens of other
people doing *their* work.

We shall not forget the principles free software is built on, and that
Debian is a project that lives entirely on and from this principles. If you
violate them, you risk the fate of forking or failing.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de