Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 07:14:24PM +0100, Marek Habersack wrote:
> ** On Jan 13, Marcus Brinkmann scribbled:
> > On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 10:04:19AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > I'm just saying we don't need to dish
> > > out accounts and email addresses like candy at a house on halloween.
> >
> > People concerned about that could try to convince the rest of us that new
> > maintainers should only get their key added to the keyring initially, and
> > email addresses and accounts are only given for some "good reason".
> >
> > I foretell that we would not get less applicants even with this restriction.
> > The main interest of people applying is to upload packages, not getting
> > yet-another-email-address.
> Don't forget about people who want the "another address" (or rather an
> account) to actually use it for some purpose - like compiling stuff on
> architectures/distros they don't have. In my opinion this is the main reason
> for having the account.

Of course, that's one of the "good reasons". In my opinion, we should *not*
perform the restrictions I describe above, as I think they are unnecessary.
But if Ben is correct, stalling *all* applicants is a completely
counterproductive reaction. It fixes the problem in the hand by cutting of
the whole arm. I suggested to Ben to try to achieve the above setup, not
because I think it is correct, but because I'd hope that in the course of
him making this suggestion, it will be thought over and dismissed by a
majority of developers (if it would be accepted, we would at least find out
if Ben was right in the first place).

We have now tight control over who enters Debian: There is handholding,
proof of work done in the past, examination of capabilities. There is no
need to be suspicious over the motivations of the new maintainer applicants
as a whole. And we will never be able to completely eliminate individual
black sheeps. So let's get over it and accept them at a steady pace.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de