Re: Packaged marked for removal -> last chance to adopt them!

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> The QA guidelines say that packages which have been orphaned longer

??? Where are "QA guidelines" that are more than a proposal?

> than 90 days are to be removed.  There are many packages listed in
> the WNPP which are much older than this.  Debian has been growing
> and growing, and it's time to clean out old packages from unstable.
> Since some people thought the 90 day rule was too strict, I used the
> following rules:
>
>   * Packages orphaned more than 90 days and less than 180 days ago and
>     which have no open bugs with severity higher than minor will be kept.
>   * Packages orphaned 90 days ago with a bug open or a Standards-Version
>     less than 3.0 (which would be a RC bug anyway) will be removed.

A missing manual page is a "normal" bug and might be a reason for the
faster removal of a package?

>   * Packages orphaned more than 180 days ago will be removed in any case.

Even if there's noone willing to maintain a package there might be users
(and "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" - you know what I'm
quoting?) that are using this package. It's all right to remove packages
that would need much work but if a package is all right I see no problem
even if it's orphaned for over a year.

> Again, these packages will be removed on Sun Feb  4 if no objections
> are raised before then.

I do object.

> dpkg-scriptlib -- dpkg-perl and dpkg-python [#68588]
>   * Orphaned 161 days ago
>   --> This package will be kept.
> [ Important: tetex-extra pre-depends on this package! ]
> fnlib -- special font rendering library used by Enlightened apps [#71565]
>   * Orphaned 122 days ago
>   --> This package will be kept.
> [ Important: someone with interest in Enlightenment should adopt this
> package since Enlightenment depends on it! ]

You say you really want to remove these packages?

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi