Re: Packaged marked for removal -> last chance to adopt them!

* Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> [20010113 23:44]:
> > The QA guidelines say that packages which have been orphaned longer
> ??? Where are "QA guidelines" that are more than a proposal?

OK, the QA proposal.

> >   * Packages orphaned more than 180 days ago will be removed in any case.
>
> Even if there's noone willing to maintain a package there might be users

I don't think we will do our users a duty if there's no one willing to
maintain the package.

> if a package is all right I see no problem even if it's orphaned for
> over a year.

That's why I used 180 days for bug-less packages instead of 90.  180
days is a long time for someone to step forward and adopt a package.
If a user seriously wants to have a package in Debian, they should
look for someone willing to adopt the package or become a developer
themselves.  Debian is a community effort after all.

I'm not willing to keep old orphaned packages around for some virtual
users who might not even exists.  Show me who uses these programs and
they will stay in Debian.  However, for most packages in my list there
are better replacements in Debian anyway.

> >   --> This package will be kept.
> >   --> This package will be kept.
>
> You say you really want to remove these packages?

Can you read?  These packages will be kept anyway.
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com