Re: senior developer? [was: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT]

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 04:30:20PM +0100, Mariusz Przygodzki wrote:
> What does the term "senior developers" mean?
> What's difference between "developer" and "senior developer" in case of
> Debian project?
>
> I can not find this job description ("senior developer") mentioned above by
> Herr Schulze on any *.debian.org web pages.

>From my perspective as a user/part-time small-time coder, I would say
pretty much what Adam Heath has already said in this thread. With the
additional point that, as someone who knows a little about Debian, it's
package system, and it's policies/organization, I would wager anyone
who took the time to get to know Debian would be able to immediately
come up with quite a few names that they would term as 'senior
developers':

(ie... and I'm positive I will miss some, these are just MHO)
Ben Collins      (libc6 et. al)
Branden Robinson (X4 et. al)
Joey Hess        (debconf, perl hacker)
Wichert Akkerman (dpkg)
Raul Miller      (lots of policy items)
Herbert Xu       (linux kernel)
Marcus Brinkmann (lots of involvement on MLs)
Jason Gunthorpe  (apt)

These are just names off the top of my head, and all MO as stated
above. The only implication here from my perspective, is the above
individuals, and many others, make very LARGE contributions/changes to
Debian as a whole. As such, I would list them among the 'senior
developers' if it were up to me to say.

Each to his own.