Re: tar -I incompatibility

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 02:26:32PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> tar in potato uses -I for bzip2. So far, tar -I won't be bzip2 in
> woody, the next stable.

I wonder how other linux distributions will handle this. Would it
be possible for potato, to support -j as well to ease the
transition to the new option? So anybody using debian could start
using -j in their scripts. Then woody will start issue a warning
for using -I .

And how sure can we be the author won't change his mind on the -j
option? Is -j fixed for the next stable tar version or will it
probably change to something different again? If yes, we should
not support -j in potato, as suggested above, of course.

    Ingo
--
"Disclosed Source" programs mean software for which the source code is
available without confidential or trade secret restrictions and for which