Re: tar -I incompatibility

Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> Just as linux-centric as the other way is solaris-centric.

Not true. There's the way GNU tar works, then there's the way every other
tar on the planet works (at least with respect to the -I option). GNU tar is
(used to be) the odd one out. Now you're saying that not behaving like the
odd man out is being Solaris-centric? I don't think so.

> <sarcasm>
> I like systems that don't change on a day to day basis. I don't want
> "ls *" to do "rm *" tomorrow just because some other unix does it and
> the author feels like it.
> </sarcasm>

I'm sure this has been said before, but:

Don't run unstable if you don't like stuff changing or breaking.

Unstable breaks stuff from time to time. It changes stuff more often than
that.

If options or behaviour changes from one update to the next, stiff bikkies.
Deal with it in your own quiet little way.

If that behaviour or option was non-standard to begin with, then think
yourself lucky that you had it working as long as you did.

> "tar -xIvvf file.tar.bz2" has been in use under linux for over a year
> by pretty much everybody. Even if the author never released it as
> stable, all linux distributions did it. I think that should count
> something. Enough to at least ease the transition.

Pretty much everybody? I'd say you could modify that statement to "pretty
much everybody who doesn't deal with non-Linux systems often". The
qualifier to that statement is very important.

Ask someone who's actually used a non-Linux UNIX or UNIX-like system to
explain it to you sometime.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |