Re: tar -I incompatibility

Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> the Author of tar changed the --bzip option again. This time its even
> worse than the last time, since -I is still a valid option but with a
> totally different meaning.
>
> This totally changes the behaviour of tar and I would consider that a
> critical bug, since backup software does break horribly with the new
> semantic.

Yes, I think that this should definetely be changed back. The first time
I encountered this problem, I thought that the tar.bz2 archive was
broken from the error message tar reported. (Not a valid tar archive or
so.) This change is confusing and unreasonable IMHO.

Roland

--
Roland Bauerschmidt <rb@debian.org>