Re: Avifile package - help needed

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 01:08:10PM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> In this case - Should I copy these libraries to /usr/lib/win32 or
> should I select probably more apropriate place like /usr/local/lib
> (or even better - I would preffer to use 'stow' package for this - as in
> my eyes only the /usr/local/ is the right place for files which are not
> in .deb package - or maybe I'm wrong ???
>
> Is there any Debian policy for such operation ?

You did search for /usr/local in the debian-policy text?
/usr/local is for local administrator use only, no installer
should place any file in there.

You shouldn't force the use of stow on anyone, either. I think is
is a nice package to keep your /usr/local directory clean, but I
guess there are many admins out there who don't like stow. In
addition to that it needs a completely non-standart directory to
hold the stowed software (the stow package defaults to use
/usr/local/stow).

So I think putting the files in the directory /usr/lib/win32
would be fine, if you remove them after uninstalling your
package. Don't mess with /usr/local. Thanks.

    Ingo
--
"Disclosed Source" programs mean software for which the source code is
available without confidential or trade secret restrictions and for which