Re: Release Date of Woody?

>>"Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

 Hamish> On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 03:23:02AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> Because laying down rules too early causes a long delay in
 >> relases.

 Hamish> A goal does not have to be an immutable requirement. We could
 Hamish> have aims.  When all the aims have been met, we would
 Hamish> release. If too much time goes buy, we would decide that one
 Hamish> or more aims is unreasonable, and remove it. The aims would
 Hamish> not be immutable.

	I see no difference between these aims and release goals. All
 you are saying is that we have wishy washy release goals: we kinda
 put them up, and then dump them when (inevitably) the release dates
 begin to slide.

	I am not sure there is much achieved by weak release goals.

 >> This prevents things like ``we shall have gcc 3.0 in the new
 >> release'.

 Hamish> Why would that be a bad thing? Obviously we would be
 Hamish> dependent on an outside party; if it turned out that this aim
 Hamish> was unreasonable, we could scrub it.

	So what is the benefit? Right now we just say that we shall
 release when Debian is ready; and hence do not build up expectations,
 and bad PR and FUD by all the magazines who do not understand that
 Debian's release goals are not truly the generally accepted kind
 (ones that _have_ to be met before release), but are marketing stuff
 meant to be discarded at will.

 >> So we do not have any formal goals; we just wait until we have
 >> a rough consensus thatit is time to release, and then we decide on
 >> how long to wait to allow things to get in.
 >>
 >> Not something a manager would be comfortable with. But then,
 >> most managers have wages as an incentive for getting work
 >> accomplished.

 Hamish> As opposed to Debian, where we have no incentive to
 Hamish> accomplish anything?

	I hope you are just trying to be obtuse as s part of some
 obscure debating tactic. Or are you just totally blowing by the
 central control vs individual motication aspect of this difference?

	manoj
--
 "Yo baby yo baby yo." Eddie Murphy