Re: Release Date of Woody?

>>"Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

 Hamish> OK. Let me ask a different question - why do we not have any release
 Hamish> goals? Not dates, but features; aims.

	Because laying down rules too early causes a long delay in
 relases. Traditionally, when we are about to freeze, and already have
 an release manager appointed, the release manager picks some things
 he would like to see in the new release.

	This prevents things like ``we shall have gcc 3.0 in the new
 release'. Essentially, when talks about freezing start, there are
 people who shall come up and say that one should wait until ``blah''
 gets done -- usually the people responsible for doing blah.

	In a volunteer organiztion, I think that people doing blah
 should be the ones driving the setting of blah as a release goal
 (some unrelated people saying that the blah-developers should have
 blah ready as a release goal is not very practical).

	So we do not have any formal goals; we just wait until we have
 a rough consensus thatit is time to release, and then we decide on
 how long to wait to allow things to get in.

	Not something a manager would be comfortable with. But then,
 most managers have wages as an incentive for getting work
 accomplished.

	manoj
--
 Listen, there is no courage or any extra courage that I know of to
 find out the right thing to do.  Now, it is not only necessary to do