Re: Release Date of Woody?

>>"Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

 >> Heh. You either have not been working for Debian, or have been
 >> unaware that we don't have release goals or schedules. It is a zen
 >> thing. Debian releases when it is time.

 Hamish> I know, but I don't like it much.

	*Shrug*. I think it tends to increase the quality of the
 distribution, since we are not tied down to unrealistic expectations
 raised by marketing folks. Debian is then released when it is ready,
 not released when someone set an arbitary date for the release to occur.

 >> Additionally, we do have goals, we just don't have release
 >> goals. Having hard deadlines with a volunteer project is impractical;

 Hamish> Sure, I agree with that. But what are the goals for woody?

	Please read the three lines above.

	Woody is going to be a debian release. I just said we do not
 have release goals. You turn around and ask me what the goals for
 woody are.

	If you want project goals, here are a few (well, some of these
 goals may not be shared by all developers)
 a) Create the best Linux distribution possible
 b) Create the most free distribution possible
 c) end world hunger
 d) create a user friendly dostribution
 e) create a distribution useable by kids
 f) create a distribution fit for kids
 g) create a secure distribution
 h) create an embeddable distribution
 i) create a distribution to base a router on
 j) create a distribution to base a firewall on
 k) create a distribution that is popular
 l) devise a means of getting off this planet
 m) create a distribution that is the easiest to install

	I can go for hours, tabulating the goals that the project
 has. Feel free to pitch in and add your own take on thius, and feel
 free to pitch in and help.

	manoj
--
 Eagleson's Law: Any code of your own that you haven't looked at for
 six or more months, might as well have been written by someone else.