Re: Release Date of Woody?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 03:23:02AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Because laying down rules too early causes a long delay in
>  relases.

A goal does not have to be an immutable requirement. We could have aims.
When all the aims have been met, we would release. If too much time
goes buy, we would decide that one or more aims is unreasonable,
and remove it. The aims would not be immutable.

> 	This prevents things like ``we shall have gcc 3.0 in the new
>  release'.

Why would that be a bad thing? Obviously we would be dependent
on an outside party; if it turned out that this aim was unreasonable,
we could scrub it.

> 	So we do not have any formal goals; we just wait until we have
>  a rough consensus thatit is time to release, and then we decide on
>  how long to wait to allow things to get in.
>
> 	Not something a manager would be comfortable with. But then,
>  most managers have wages as an incentive for getting work
>  accomplished.

As opposed to Debian, where we have no incentive to accomplish anything?

Hamish