Re: Run-levels (was Re: httpd servers do not conflict at each other (?))

David Starner wrote:
> >   also, I don't want to have the generally best program forced on me (or
> > anybody else). the fact that it can be changed later does not matter.
>
> It's not forced on you, you installed it. Then the computer was forced
> to make a choice for which program should come up when you asked for
> foo-alternative. Any guess is going to be wrong sometimes. If it matters
> which one comes up, then change it.

  it should not change the alternatives unless I explicitly tell it to
or at very least it should say that it's going to change it. It should
not change the system 'behind my back'. that's quite annoying. IMO that
should be one of the most basic rules of system configuration tools.

  just because I install package it does not mean I neccessarily want to
use it as a default (for whatever functionality it offers).

> Out of those 80 alternatives on my system, I've manually set 1. How
> would it be easier on me, if I had to deal with all 80 up front instead
> dealing with that one when I needed to.

  that's not the point, I only changed two (vi and right now the
x-terminal-emulator)

	erik