Re: Run-levels (was Re: httpd servers do not conflict at each other (?))

On 10-Dec-00, 03:23 (CST), Chad '^chewie' Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net> wrote:
> development work.  However, whenever apache, jserv, zope, or any other
> type of network service daemon is installed, the rc?.d links are
> always reinitialized.

If you leave at least one link (/etc/rc6.d/K20apache) around,
update-rc.d won't do anything. This is documented.

> So how about it?  Let's think about how we can truely promote a
> non-interactive, non-conflicting way of installing (but not
> necessarily running) service-oriented packages.

Uh, haven't you been paying attention? This was heavily discussed in
both -devel and -policy in the last few months. Henrique Holschuh designed
and developed a system for allowing local overrides, and it's been submitted
for Policy. See the whole thing at http://bugs.debian.org/76868

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read