Re: httpd servers do not conflict at each other (?)

On 09-Dec-00, 09:17 (CST), "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > exim Provides: mail-transport-agent and Conflicts: mail-transport-agent
> > and it seems so does every other MTA.
> >
> > However, both apache and boa Provides: httpd but none of them
> > Conflicts: httpd. Does this make sense?
> >
> > Which is the difference between httpd servers and mail-transport-agent
> > servers?
> >

> You can (in fact it's fairly common) run different webservers on multiple
> ports.  Mail servers usually only run on port 25.

And before you point out that many mail servers *can* be run
on alternative ports, there's the extra effort of dealing with
/usr/sbin/sendmail, /usr/bin/mailq, etc., while webservers packages
don't usually contain overlapping files. So while it would be *possible*
to set up alternatives with all the mail server packages, so far
the conclusion has been that it's not worth the effort, given the
vanishingly small number of users that would both (a) benefit, and (b)
can't build from source into /usr/local or /opt or /whatever.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read