Run-levels (was Re: httpd servers do not conflict at each other (?))

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 02:30:18AM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:

> Personally I would prefer we go this extra mile and arrange for it
> to be possible for multiple MTAs to be installed. It's very awkward
> for them to conflict since it means I can't install a new MTA,
> configure and test it before switching and removing the old one.
> Instead I'm forced to have a period when no MTA works. I may not
> actually know what MTA I want, I would prefer for example to
> download postfix and play with it for days or weeks before turning
> off exim.

Very valid and wonderful point.

> Being able to install packages but not actually have them active is
> a general open problem in Debian currently.

Thank you!  It is nice, sometimes, to be able to apt-get a package,
have it automatically configured and activated.  At other times,
however, all I want is the package to be installed and available for
future use.  I don't always want to run apache with jserv or zope on
my workstation.  I would rather run it when I plan on doing
development work.  However, whenever apache, jserv, zope, or any other
type of network service daemon is installed, the rc?.d links are
always reinitialized.  I'm always doing update-rc.d -f <package>
remove after each update.  Granted, this is not really a big deal, but
it IS a bit annoying.

So how about it?  Let's think about how we can truely promote a
non-interactive, non-conflicting way of installing (but not
necessarily running) service-oriented packages.

--
Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
             http://www.wookimus.net/