Re: Run-levels (was Re: httpd servers do not conflict at each other (?))

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 08:03:32AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   another somewhat related config option would be for various
> alternatives to ask if they should be the default one, I mean I
> installed quite a few terminal emulators and now one random of them is
> x-terminal-emulator (probably the one I installed last)

I remember my first Debian install, with Hamm.

blah blah blah window-managers blah blah
Would you like to make twm your default window manager? [Y/N] N
blah blah blah window-managers blah blah
Would you like to make olwm your default window manager? [Y/N] N
blah blah blah window-managers blah blah
Would you like to make olvwm your default window manager? [Y/N] N
blah blah blah window-managers blah blah
Would you like to make icewm your default window manager? [Y/N] N

and so on, for every single window manager. (I guess the task I picked
at the time installed just about every window manager in Debian at the
time.) It was the single most annoying thing about the Hamm install for
me.

alternatives are designed so the best general purpose tool rises to the
top. If it matters, fix it manually, which is designed to be simple and
easy.

--
David Starner - dvdeug@hushmail.com
http://dvdeug.dhis.org