Re: long term goals of debian membership

I'm not a "Debian developer", at least not yet. I'm in the queue to become
one, and learning  how to package as I go along. I'm doing fbmuck (see
sourceforge) and making an attempt at creating an auto-buildable
cross-compiler. I've been subscribed to debian-devel for at least two
years now, even before applying to be a developer.

However, packaging software wasn't my primary reason for applying. I've
found myself drawn into the policy and political aspects of "the Linux
thing", and seem to have a knack for seeing issues from an angle that many
others would not even consider or just dismiss out of hand. I provide what
input I can here as an interested user, but feel I would serve better by
Invoking that Aspect of maintainership.

And if I recall correctly, there have been a few times on -devel (and
even on -policy) where I have excercised my fingers without excercising my
brain first. That's just one of the reasons why the official developers
are held to an higher standard.

Besides, there ARE places where one can actively assist in development
without being a developer. The zip/LS120 support in the Potato installer
(such that it is) is there basically because I asked for the feature and
was willing to actively test on my machine and suggest fixes. I don't know
for certain, but I may have been one of only two or three who could
actually test booting and/or installing from zip/LS120. The only way I was
at all hindered by not having a developer account was not being able to
rsync from Debian's servers and having to sometimes wait 12 hours for a
mirror to get updated.