Re: Aha! (esound and kernel 2.4)

* Thomas E. Vaughan (vaughan@tensor.nssl.noaa.gov) [001120 12:53]:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 12:57:57PM -0500, Dan Nguyen wrote:
> >
> > Here's a unknown fact, if you recompile esound and remove the security
> > patch and have it use the local unix socket instead.  Things worked.

It does indeed fix the problem. Thanks.  My workstation has no
local security concerns, so I'm willing to risk my security.

Here is the simple workaround for using the .debs:
*WARNING*  You are overriding the good judgement of the Debian
maintainer and opening up a security hole for local exploits.

# apt-get source esound
# cd esound*
# perl -pi -e "s/esd_use_tcpip = 1/esd_use_tcpip = 0/" esd.c
# fakeroot -- debian/rules binary
# cd ..
# su dpkg -i esound
   or